Skip to main content

The Lover

 Hello, everyone! This week, I read Marguerite Duras's novel "The Lover". I was kind of scared to read this book after Jon explained it to us in the last class. I was ready to face some discomforting moments, but I may have exaggerated a bit. It is still unsettling, but it is not what I made it to be. Let's just say I don't think I would read this novel again anytime soon. 


The Lover is a story about a young girl who is French and comes from a struggling family. She takes on a forbidden romance with a Chinese man who is a lot older than she is. This book explores themes like societal expectations, power dynamics, forbidden love, desire, and identity.


What stood out the most to me was the challenge of traditional ideas of love. This novel made me question love and identity due to its exploration of relationships and examination of societal norms. This book challenges the conventional ideas of love as the romance between the Chinese man and the girl is seen as forbidden due to their age and racial differences. However, their love also goes beyond age, race, or social status. It is super complex, which forced me to confront my own beliefs about what proper and genuine love is. There are also some power imbalances that can be seen in the relationship. The Chinese man has money, which makes him an influential figure, giving him a higher social status than the girl and her family, who are struggling with money allowing the Chinese man to have influence over the girl. The girl views the Chinese man as a means of escape from her difficult situation. Her dependency on him holds power over her own decisions and actions, which can lead to a feeling of vulnerability for the girl in the relationship. Their love can be seen as tense and hidden but also very raw and passionate.


To summarize, "The Lover" was a very interesting read about love, desire, and power. Through their experience, I was reevaluating my perceptions of relationships and societal norms and how emotions can be a part of them. Although I didn't enjoy this novel as much, Marguerite Dura still managed to impact me when it comes to human relationships and the complicatedness accompanying them. 


Questions: How did you feel when reading this book? Did it change the way you see relationships? Was it unsettling for you?

Comments

  1. Julia, I like your framing of “traditional love,” and how the book challenges them. I’d love to hear more about what you think that traditional love looks like. I, for my part, often question what was love and what was infatuation many times over during the narrative. I think I actually came out on the other side than you did in terms of where this “love” transcends age, race and class. Although it is also clear to me that you understand the complexities behind the interaction and the power dynamics! Very well written blog!

    Thanks for your comment!
    - Tesi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julia, I also feel that the novel has definitely changed my perspectives on love and identity, especially when it comes to how much power Duras holds in her relationship with the man. To answer your question, initially, it made me feel a bit uncomfortable when I learned of the age gap between the two. However, later on, Duras mentions how she "exposes" her lover's dependency on her father's wealth, hence her disdainful attitude toward that.
    - Janae

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Swann's Way

     I particularly enjoyed this week's reading, especially his fresh narrative style. It allowed me to dive deep into my thoughts and emotions when looking at the characters. The way Proust uses super-rich descriptive language quickly describes feelings I have but was never able to express myself verbally. It's as if he has tapped into the depths of myself, giving words to the inexpressible. Through his extraordinary talent, Proust has transported me to a world where every sentiment and sensation is tangible.      I also highly enjoyed the themes of memory and time. As someone who is inherently sentimental, the exploration of these concepts stood out to me. Additionally, love, obsessions, and desires have always ignited my genuine curiosity. I was captivated by how Proust skillfully weaved these themes into the narrative. As a passionate lover of psychology, the exploration of the human psyche intrigued me. Proust's in-depth analysis and portrayal of the conflicting and so

Introduction to RMST

     Hey everyone! My name is Julia Wouters, and I am a fourth-year student studying psychology. I am super interested in forensic and criminal psychology, and I would also like to do a masters in clinical counselling. I have taken one of Professor Beasley-Murray's classes before, and I enjoyed that class, so I can't wait to see how he teaches this one!      I was born and raised in North Vancouver, although my parents are Dutch and Scottish. I have had about every household animal you could possibly name... from cats and dogs to snakes and lizards to (pet) rats and chickens. I recently found a kitten in my mom's backyard (a forest) and took it in. I wouldn't classify myself as someone who particularly enjoys reading. Still, I am always up to challenging myself. Prof Jon makes it a very engaging and enjoyable way to read literature. I easily get distracted, especially when given time to work alone. I believe the engaging nature of this class will help me out. I am very

Agostino

       Hi again, everyone! This week, I chose to read the book Agostino by Alberto Moravia. This novel was interesting, and I was weirded out at the start of the book. I found myself interested in the narrative and the character development of Agostino. Initially, the book gave me a sense of uneasiness and peculiarity, but I was curious about how it would go. This book explores themes like identity, desire, and societal expectations. The journey of reading this novel challenged my perceptions in a way but also gave me insight into the human mind and experience.       I initially perceived Agostino as a young boy. However, as I continued reading, I found out that he is actually 13 years old and fascinated with his mother and her beauty. In his eyes, his mother was flawless and beyond reproach. She was perfection to him. Not only did Agostino view his mother through this idealized lens, but she also interacted with him in a manner fitting for a child. This dynamic between them stirred