Skip to main content

Our time is up!

     Hey everyone! This class is coming to an end, and I can't believe this will be my last blog post. I've gotten so used to writing them every week that it'll feel strange not to do them anymore. I might have to start journalling again to fill the void xD. 

    A significant highlight is all the friendships I made in this class and the valuable lessons these novels have given me. Each discussion has brought me closer to my classmates, and these connections are something I will always value beyond our lecture room. 

    Throughout this class, we explored new themes, talked about challenges, worked as a class, and, most importantly, had fun and smiled along the way. Each and every discussion we have had as a class helped me develop new skills and gain a deeper understanding of the books and the world around us. Exploring new themes, discussing the challenges characters face, and deep diving into the characters really heightened my appreciation for literature and helped my perspective on life itself. I initially took this course to fulfill my literature requirement. Still, this class ended up being much more than just a requirement. I have recommended this course to all my friends; I truly, really enjoyed it. 

    I want to acknowledge this class's sense of community and thank Professor Jon, Daniel, and Tesi for creating a safe place for us all. You all made it an enjoyable and exciting experience. I was nervous about reading so many books, but I've read so many in one term! I'm proud of myself for fulfilling the contract as I tested myself by going for one grade higher than I usually would go for. I have learned to challenge myself, I can accomplish so much more than what I think. I will definitely try to pursue reading more since taking this class. 

    It will be challenging to say goodbye to this class, but I am taken aback by its impact. Writing these blog posts became a weekly ritual; I'll miss the routine. What began as a requirement transformed into a beautiful journey. I realized how much I've grown, not just as a student but as a person. I have a new appreciation for storytelling and for discovering how it can impact our lives. Though this may be the end of the class, it's only the beginning of a lifelong journey of learning and discovery. 


Questions:

What do you think were the most impactful lessons learned throughout the course?

What advice would you give to future students taking this course? 

Comments

  1. Julia, you should keep the blog going! Glad you were able to make friendships through the conversations. Thanks for sharing with us the things that worked best for you, we always appreciate the feedback!

    -Tes

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Swann's Way

     I particularly enjoyed this week's reading, especially his fresh narrative style. It allowed me to dive deep into my thoughts and emotions when looking at the characters. The way Proust uses super-rich descriptive language quickly describes feelings I have but was never able to express myself verbally. It's as if he has tapped into the depths of myself, giving words to the inexpressible. Through his extraordinary talent, Proust has transported me to a world where every sentiment and sensation is tangible.      I also highly enjoyed the themes of memory and time. As someone who is inherently sentimental, the exploration of these concepts stood out to me. Additionally, love, obsessions, and desires have always ignited my genuine curiosity. I was captivated by how Proust skillfully weaved these themes into the narrative. As a passionate lover of psychology, the exploration of the human psyche intrigued me. Proust's in-depth analysis and portrayal of the conflicting and so

Agostino

       Hi again, everyone! This week, I chose to read the book Agostino by Alberto Moravia. This novel was interesting, and I was weirded out at the start of the book. I found myself interested in the narrative and the character development of Agostino. Initially, the book gave me a sense of uneasiness and peculiarity, but I was curious about how it would go. This book explores themes like identity, desire, and societal expectations. The journey of reading this novel challenged my perceptions in a way but also gave me insight into the human mind and experience.       I initially perceived Agostino as a young boy. However, as I continued reading, I found out that he is actually 13 years old and fascinated with his mother and her beauty. In his eyes, his mother was flawless and beyond reproach. She was perfection to him. Not only did Agostino view his mother through this idealized lens, but she also interacted with him in a manner fitting for a child. This dynamic between them stirred

Introduction to RMST

     Hey everyone! My name is Julia Wouters, and I am a fourth-year student studying psychology. I am super interested in forensic and criminal psychology, and I would also like to do a masters in clinical counselling. I have taken one of Professor Beasley-Murray's classes before, and I enjoyed that class, so I can't wait to see how he teaches this one!      I was born and raised in North Vancouver, although my parents are Dutch and Scottish. I have had about every household animal you could possibly name... from cats and dogs to snakes and lizards to (pet) rats and chickens. I recently found a kitten in my mom's backyard (a forest) and took it in. I wouldn't classify myself as someone who particularly enjoys reading. Still, I am always up to challenging myself. Prof Jon makes it a very engaging and enjoyable way to read literature. I easily get distracted, especially when given time to work alone. I believe the engaging nature of this class will help me out. I am very