Skip to main content

Introduction to RMST

    Hey everyone! My name is Julia Wouters, and I am a fourth-year student studying psychology. I am super interested in forensic and criminal psychology, and I would also like to do a masters in clinical counselling. I have taken one of Professor Beasley-Murray's classes before, and I enjoyed that class, so I can't wait to see how he teaches this one!

    I was born and raised in North Vancouver, although my parents are Dutch and Scottish. I have had about every household animal you could possibly name... from cats and dogs to snakes and lizards to (pet) rats and chickens. I recently found a kitten in my mom's backyard (a forest) and took it in. I wouldn't classify myself as someone who particularly enjoys reading. Still, I am always up to challenging myself. Prof Jon makes it a very engaging and enjoyable way to read literature. I easily get distracted, especially when given time to work alone. I believe the engaging nature of this class will help me out. I am very imaginative as well. I can close my eyes and perfectly paint out a scene or object. More so with someone else explaining it. That said, does anyone know of possible audiobooks that correspond with this class?

    My expectation for this course is that I will be challenging my reading by aiming for one grade higher than I would typically go for. So... lots and lots of reading. It is such a significant relief from anxiety knowing there is no pressure to have the "right" interpretation or understanding of these books and that we will come together as a class without judgment to discuss.

I look forward to analyzing and engaging in these upcoming weeks, which will allow me to understand and truly appreciate the impact of romance studies in the literature. Also, I am eager to hear from all of you and the diverse perspective each of you brings to the class. 

Choosing this course was an easy decision for me as Prof Jon is teaching :) I also need one more literature requirement, which this class will fulfill, but I wouldn't want to take any other lit course!

Feel free to reach out to me if you guys have any questions! I'd love to help in any way I can, as I understand the course structure quite well. See you all Friday!

Comments

  1. Welcome (back) to the course, Julia! I hope we can help you with your goal of challenging yourself to a higher grade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loveee that you have a kitten!! maybe not what you are looking for but a really good audio book is Daisy Jones and The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid. Hope you achieve your challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Swann's Way

     I particularly enjoyed this week's reading, especially his fresh narrative style. It allowed me to dive deep into my thoughts and emotions when looking at the characters. The way Proust uses super-rich descriptive language quickly describes feelings I have but was never able to express myself verbally. It's as if he has tapped into the depths of myself, giving words to the inexpressible. Through his extraordinary talent, Proust has transported me to a world where every sentiment and sensation is tangible.      I also highly enjoyed the themes of memory and time. As someone who is inherently sentimental, the exploration of these concepts stood out to me. Additionally, love, obsessions, and desires have always ignited my genuine curiosity. I was captivated by how Proust skillfully weaved these themes into the narrative. As a passionate lover of psychology, the exploration of the human psyche intrigued me. Proust's in-depth analysis and portrayal of the conflicting and so

Agostino

       Hi again, everyone! This week, I chose to read the book Agostino by Alberto Moravia. This novel was interesting, and I was weirded out at the start of the book. I found myself interested in the narrative and the character development of Agostino. Initially, the book gave me a sense of uneasiness and peculiarity, but I was curious about how it would go. This book explores themes like identity, desire, and societal expectations. The journey of reading this novel challenged my perceptions in a way but also gave me insight into the human mind and experience.       I initially perceived Agostino as a young boy. However, as I continued reading, I found out that he is actually 13 years old and fascinated with his mother and her beauty. In his eyes, his mother was flawless and beyond reproach. She was perfection to him. Not only did Agostino view his mother through this idealized lens, but she also interacted with him in a manner fitting for a child. This dynamic between them stirred