Skip to main content

The Hour of The Star

    Hey everyone! Hope all is well. I read "The Hour of the Star" by Clarice Lispector this week. I initially wanted to read this because of its shorter length. It was refreshing and made me less overwhelmed compared to some of the other books we have read. The narrative is different as it dives into the rich thoughts and emotions of the characters, allowing the reader to really get into the inner workings of their minds. "This story has no technique, nor style, it lives from hand to mouth (pg. 28)." This novel explores the themes of social inequality, isolation, identity, poverty, and sexism. I felt as if the author planted herself in Macabea. Lispector writes about Macabea in an empathetic way, writing about her inner thoughts, struggles, and emotions. On the other hand, she distances herself from Macabea by referring to her as "the typist," emphasizing how she's nothing but that. 


    Macabea's journey reflects the realities of social inequality and how much the human spirit can endure. Through the struggles, a quiet strength in her lights the soul. The book shows the existence of social inequality, human vulnerability, and resilience. I found this book to have a strong emotional impact on me. I found myself having strong empathy for Macabea in her struggles, especially loneliness, lack of self-worth, and her desire for love and connection. It really pulled on the heartstrings. For example, "she'd forgotten the beatings because if you wait a while, the pain ends up going away (pg. 20)." This quote made me really upset to think that she had to sit there just waiting for the pain to stop really didn't sit well with me. " Inside I'm actually happy. It's so good to be alive (pg 43)." This quote, however, brought some peace of mind to know she still has high spirits and faith.


    This book gave a look into what it is like to be human. We see everyday struggles and what it is like to figure out who we are as individuals. As well as how hard life can be when you feel alone and lost. Lispector's narration made me think about understanding others and myself through life's uncertainties and challenges. Everyone can experience similar feelings, no matter what they have or where they come from.


Questions:

  • What do you think the title "The Hour of the Star" represents? 
  • How does the switch between empathy and distance in the narrator's writing affect how you see Macabea? 


Comments

  1. Julia, I liked the quote you picked to describe the narrative style. I see it made you reflect on your own life quite a bit too!

    Thanks for your comment!
    Tesi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Julia. Thanks for your sharing. I think the name of this book may refer to the moment of Macabea's death at the end, maybe at that moment she was really free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. "allowing the reader to really get into the inner workings of their minds" Does it really? Do we ever really get into the mind of Macabéa? Or is this all the narrator's projection? Does the narrator even ever really understand his creation? I'm not sure...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Swann's Way

     I particularly enjoyed this week's reading, especially his fresh narrative style. It allowed me to dive deep into my thoughts and emotions when looking at the characters. The way Proust uses super-rich descriptive language quickly describes feelings I have but was never able to express myself verbally. It's as if he has tapped into the depths of myself, giving words to the inexpressible. Through his extraordinary talent, Proust has transported me to a world where every sentiment and sensation is tangible.      I also highly enjoyed the themes of memory and time. As someone who is inherently sentimental, the exploration of these concepts stood out to me. Additionally, love, obsessions, and desires have always ignited my genuine curiosity. I was captivated by how Proust skillfully weaved these themes into the narrative. As a passionate lover of psychology, the exploration of the human psyche intrigued me. Proust's in-depth analysis and portrayal of the conflicting and so

Introduction to RMST

     Hey everyone! My name is Julia Wouters, and I am a fourth-year student studying psychology. I am super interested in forensic and criminal psychology, and I would also like to do a masters in clinical counselling. I have taken one of Professor Beasley-Murray's classes before, and I enjoyed that class, so I can't wait to see how he teaches this one!      I was born and raised in North Vancouver, although my parents are Dutch and Scottish. I have had about every household animal you could possibly name... from cats and dogs to snakes and lizards to (pet) rats and chickens. I recently found a kitten in my mom's backyard (a forest) and took it in. I wouldn't classify myself as someone who particularly enjoys reading. Still, I am always up to challenging myself. Prof Jon makes it a very engaging and enjoyable way to read literature. I easily get distracted, especially when given time to work alone. I believe the engaging nature of this class will help me out. I am very

Agostino

       Hi again, everyone! This week, I chose to read the book Agostino by Alberto Moravia. This novel was interesting, and I was weirded out at the start of the book. I found myself interested in the narrative and the character development of Agostino. Initially, the book gave me a sense of uneasiness and peculiarity, but I was curious about how it would go. This book explores themes like identity, desire, and societal expectations. The journey of reading this novel challenged my perceptions in a way but also gave me insight into the human mind and experience.       I initially perceived Agostino as a young boy. However, as I continued reading, I found out that he is actually 13 years old and fascinated with his mother and her beauty. In his eyes, his mother was flawless and beyond reproach. She was perfection to him. Not only did Agostino view his mother through this idealized lens, but she also interacted with him in a manner fitting for a child. This dynamic between them stirred