Skip to main content

Money to Burn

 Hey everyone, I hope you are doing well. This week, I read "Money to Burn" by Ricardo Pigila. I had high hopes for this novel, given the themes of mystery, deception, the creative process, and, most interestingly, criminal activity. Still, I liked it less than I thought. 


I didn't quite like the pacing of this novel. I found the book to be slow at times, and the narrative was slightly complicated for me to follow. Piglia's characters also left me feeling confused. I found the characters to be super complex and purely uncertain. The characters were portrayed as super complex, but their unreliability and conflicting perspectives presented by witnesses and the press added a layer of confusion to the storyline. I felt like it was a never-ending puzzle. 


However, what piqued my interest was the aspect of crime. As someone who enjoys watching and diving into the world of true crime during my free time, I liked the elements of the bank robbery at the center of the story. The involvement of different people, whether they were linked to the crime, the planning, and the aftermath, made the story very complex. 


This novel is about a bank robbery in Buenos Aires. The robbery was very complicated, as various people who weren't involved seemed to get wrapped up in its planning and action. The book starts with 'the twins', Dorda and Brignone. In reality, they are not twins, and it seems they had a sexual relationship. 


The bank robbery is committed by a group of individuals, including 'the twins.' Dorda is portrayed as this psycho killer and the mastermind, having a strategic mind. Dorda has a sense of authority and control. On the other hand, he has a drug obsession and hears voices in his head. Brignone is entangled in the bank robbery plan, and he is very versatile. He is resourceful and has this ambition and ruthlessness in the involvement of the criminal world. Although he has intense issues with young girls that left distasteful thoughts in my head about him.


This novel captured the world of crime and deception, which made me confront an uncomfortable truth about the human mind. While it may not have been the book I had hoped for, its exploration of ethical vagueness and the consequences of one's actions really stuck with me after finishing this read.


Questions: Concerning the twins, what role does identity play in this book? What is the relationship between crime and creativity? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swann's Way

     I particularly enjoyed this week's reading, especially his fresh narrative style. It allowed me to dive deep into my thoughts and emotions when looking at the characters. The way Proust uses super-rich descriptive language quickly describes feelings I have but was never able to express myself verbally. It's as if he has tapped into the depths of myself, giving words to the inexpressible. Through his extraordinary talent, Proust has transported me to a world where every sentiment and sensation is tangible.      I also highly enjoyed the themes of memory and time. As someone who is inherently sentimental, the exploration of these concepts stood out to me. Additionally, love, obsessions, and desires have always ignited my genuine curiosity. I was captivated by how Proust skillfully weaved these themes into the narrative. As a passionate lover of psychology, the exploration of the human psyche intrigued me. Proust's in-depth analysis and portrayal of the conflicting and so

Agostino

       Hi again, everyone! This week, I chose to read the book Agostino by Alberto Moravia. This novel was interesting, and I was weirded out at the start of the book. I found myself interested in the narrative and the character development of Agostino. Initially, the book gave me a sense of uneasiness and peculiarity, but I was curious about how it would go. This book explores themes like identity, desire, and societal expectations. The journey of reading this novel challenged my perceptions in a way but also gave me insight into the human mind and experience.       I initially perceived Agostino as a young boy. However, as I continued reading, I found out that he is actually 13 years old and fascinated with his mother and her beauty. In his eyes, his mother was flawless and beyond reproach. She was perfection to him. Not only did Agostino view his mother through this idealized lens, but she also interacted with him in a manner fitting for a child. This dynamic between them stirred

Introduction to RMST

     Hey everyone! My name is Julia Wouters, and I am a fourth-year student studying psychology. I am super interested in forensic and criminal psychology, and I would also like to do a masters in clinical counselling. I have taken one of Professor Beasley-Murray's classes before, and I enjoyed that class, so I can't wait to see how he teaches this one!      I was born and raised in North Vancouver, although my parents are Dutch and Scottish. I have had about every household animal you could possibly name... from cats and dogs to snakes and lizards to (pet) rats and chickens. I recently found a kitten in my mom's backyard (a forest) and took it in. I wouldn't classify myself as someone who particularly enjoys reading. Still, I am always up to challenging myself. Prof Jon makes it a very engaging and enjoyable way to read literature. I easily get distracted, especially when given time to work alone. I believe the engaging nature of this class will help me out. I am very