Skip to main content

Agostino

     Hi again, everyone! This week, I chose to read the book Agostino by Alberto Moravia. This novel was interesting, and I was weirded out at the start of the book. I found myself interested in the narrative and the character development of Agostino. Initially, the book gave me a sense of uneasiness and peculiarity, but I was curious about how it would go. This book explores themes like identity, desire, and societal expectations. The journey of reading this novel challenged my perceptions in a way but also gave me insight into the human mind and experience. 

    I initially perceived Agostino as a young boy. However, as I continued reading, I found out that he is actually 13 years old and fascinated with his mother and her beauty. In his eyes, his mother was flawless and beyond reproach. She was perfection to him. Not only did Agostino view his mother through this idealized lens, but she also interacted with him in a manner fitting for a child. This dynamic between them stirred conflicting emotions within Agostino, manifesting as resentment, jealousy and a longing for his mother's attention. Which can be emotions typically experienced by a child.


    I empathized with Agostino when his mother had chose to leave him alone to go out with a new man and his boat, known as a pattino. "She turned to Agostino, who had remained seated with his head bowed, intent on the sand sifting through his clenched fist, and told him to go ahead and have a swim by himself." I can relate to the experience of feeling neglected by a parent for another person, something I believe Agostino also was feeling when his mother was unexpectedly taken from him. This moment reminds me how much of an impact one person's presence or absence can have on someone's emotional state. As a psychology student, I have learned that a parent and child's bond can be powerful. When that connection is interrupted, it can negatively impact the person's mind, and emotions can significantly affect our experiences. Agostino then becomes angry and more easily irritated because he now has to accept that he must share his mother with others. He is upset that others would see his mother the way he does "in one way: dignified, serene, and discreet." He was fathomed to "see that the change that had taken place {was}... as if she were no longer the same woman." 


Question: Did you find the book weird at all? Did your thoughts and opinions on the book change as you read it? 

Comments

  1. Hi Julia!

    I also wrote on Agostino’s mommy issues and was a bit put off but the story. Honestly, to answer your question, this book was definitely weird but I still enjoyed the perspective it gave. At first I found it uncomfortable to be reading the weird sensual thoughts a 13 year old boy was having. However as I continued with the story I tried to view it more as a different perspective of a 13 year old boy growing up (since im a girl and never experienced what he did). It did not make the reading experience less weird but I came to appreciate the book a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julia! I felt the same as you did in terms of the book seeming quite weird initially and finding the development of Agostino's character to be interesting. I like how you saw Agostino being neglected by his mother through a psychological lens. For him, his bond with his mother was broken by Renzo, and as a result, he decided to join the "gang" . I think his decision to hang out the "gang" despite not being able to fit in was directly influenced by his experience with his mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Julia, great take. I agree this was peculiar book. I think that realizing Agostino was 13 made me look at it a little differently. He's not old yet, but he's getting up there... making his proclivities a weird one to process. But, I don't think his feelings are necessarily too weird. Just a boy growing up, figuring himself out. He'll move past it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Julia, great take. I agree this was peculiar book. I think that realizing Agostino was 13 made me look at it a little differently. He's not old yet, but he's getting up there... making his proclivities a weird one to process. But, I don't think his feelings are necessarily too weird. Just a boy growing up, figuring himself out. He'll move past it. ^^ republished with name

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Did you find the book weird at all?"

    Ah, now what do you mean by that... especially as you tell us that Psychology suggests that much of what it describes is very normal! Or perhaps it's that the "normal" can also be weird?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Swann's Way

     I particularly enjoyed this week's reading, especially his fresh narrative style. It allowed me to dive deep into my thoughts and emotions when looking at the characters. The way Proust uses super-rich descriptive language quickly describes feelings I have but was never able to express myself verbally. It's as if he has tapped into the depths of myself, giving words to the inexpressible. Through his extraordinary talent, Proust has transported me to a world where every sentiment and sensation is tangible.      I also highly enjoyed the themes of memory and time. As someone who is inherently sentimental, the exploration of these concepts stood out to me. Additionally, love, obsessions, and desires have always ignited my genuine curiosity. I was captivated by how Proust skillfully weaved these themes into the narrative. As a passionate lover of psychology, the exploration of the human psyche intrigued me. Proust's in-depth analysis and portrayal of the conflicting and so

Introduction to RMST

     Hey everyone! My name is Julia Wouters, and I am a fourth-year student studying psychology. I am super interested in forensic and criminal psychology, and I would also like to do a masters in clinical counselling. I have taken one of Professor Beasley-Murray's classes before, and I enjoyed that class, so I can't wait to see how he teaches this one!      I was born and raised in North Vancouver, although my parents are Dutch and Scottish. I have had about every household animal you could possibly name... from cats and dogs to snakes and lizards to (pet) rats and chickens. I recently found a kitten in my mom's backyard (a forest) and took it in. I wouldn't classify myself as someone who particularly enjoys reading. Still, I am always up to challenging myself. Prof Jon makes it a very engaging and enjoyable way to read literature. I easily get distracted, especially when given time to work alone. I believe the engaging nature of this class will help me out. I am very